I also started tracking my rides using Cyclemeter, starting in March. Now I can look back at my non-commuting rides as well.
My stats look as follows:
- 552 total rides (with a commute counting as two rides)
- a total distance of 4166 km
- average speed of 18 kph
- top speed of 50 kph (highly suspect: the speedometer feature doesn’t seem to be very reliable)
I can also break rides down by type:
- to and from work, about 180 round trips since March
- errands: 168
- family rides: 25
- other: 22
or by bike:
- Rock Lobster: 326
- Xtracycle: 120, my champion grocery getter.
- Sub Zero: 39, only since November
- Tikit: 34, acquired in April, and about half the mileage was logged on two trips to California.
- PBW: 19, replaced by the Tikit and now for sale
- Aiolos Speedlite: 7
- Dahon Speed Uno: 5, this bike is stashed in Vancouver
- Family Tandem: 3, this only counts the times I was captain. Usually my wife is toting one of the kids on the back on this bike.
It’s fun to have all these stats. At the same time, I have a couple of niggles about the app itself
- the voice prompt when I start or stop timing is very loud, regardless of the volume setting on the phone or the mute setting
- the speed measurements are not very accurate, in particular the top speed. I’ve not had great luck with GPS speed readings in general, particularly for my style of riding which is mainly stop/start commuting in the city
- there is no useful way of exporting the maps of any of my rides
- I was not able to get my phone to link to a Garmin heart monitor strap.
Nevertheless, the app was worth the price I paid, and I will continue to use it.
Bike highlights of the year include:
- seeing Aerovelo win the Sikorsky prize.
- getting a chance to fly the Atlas human powered helicopter
- my usual trip to Battle Mountain, where I saw a new human powered world record set, the U of T bike go over 70 mph four times in a single morning, and Graeme Obree riding one of our bikes.
- Toronto Art Spin
- Bells on Bloor; watch for a big bike rally on Saturday, Sept. 14, 2014. This is just a few short weeks before the next municipal election.
- a beautiful sunset over the Pacific on a day where I was trapped in the vicinity of LAX
I don’t expect my 2014 mileage totals to set any records since I will be on partial leave from work, but maybe that will leave me a little more time for longer rides!
Have a great 2014, and ride safe!